The basis of the ‘Abingdon’ Compton began life in the Gaumont Palace, Birmingham, where it was installed in 1931 as a 3c/9. It was removed from there in 1961? The organ was then installed in the Abbey Hall, Abingdon where it was opened in 196? In 197?, the Krummet and Melotone from the Gaumont, Camden Town was acquired, along with the large 4 manual console from that instrument, which was installed in place of the original 3 manual Birmingham console at Abingdon.
The organ was played for regular concerts and dances at Abingdon, however in 2009 the use of the organ for concerts finished due to lack of support. In 2012, the organ was purchased and brought to the 'Astoria Project’, where it was planned to be installed at a later date. Some of the former Abingdon organ was restored and is currently playing as part of the Astoria instrument. These ranks are Solo Tuba, Krummet & Clarinet. The Melotone unit has received a complete restoration and will be added to the organ in due course.
Because the ex Gaumont, Camden Town Console is a large 4 manual, this will eventually be rebuilt to form the master console to control all the ranks located in the pipe chambers.