This instrument was the first of the standard 3/8 ‘Granada’ model built by Wurlitzer and was installed in 1934 at the Granada Theatre in Bedford. At the Granada it was used for variety shows as well as the usual cinema performances and many well-known stars of the day were accompanied by this instrument. The big band leader - Glenn Miller - was stationed at Bedford and used the Granada to rehearse the band. His last performance with the band was the night prior to setting off from Bedford, never to be seen again.
The Wurlitzer was purchased by the Langbarugh Theatre Organ Society in 197? and removed from the Granada shortly afterwards. After a relatively short period in storage, the Wurlitzer was installed in the Ballroom on Redcar Pier, being opened on ..... by Ernest Broadbent. Sadly after only 18 months, the Pier was declared unsafe, so the Wurlitzer had to be removed and the Pier was demolished.
Fortunately a new home for the Wurlitzer was found only a few miles away at the James Finegan Hall, Eston, where it was opened by ..... on ...... The organ was used for around 30 years at Eston, until it was announced that the hall was to close. Not wanting or able to face yet another move of the instrument, the Wurlitzer was sold and is on permanent loan to the Penistone Cinema Organ Trust. The Wurlitzer is slowly being restored and installed at the Astoria Centre as and when time and funds permit.